Thursday, December 22, 2011

first bridle

I went back again Tuesday night to work on her tail for about 30 minutes. Her tail is the most matted that anyone of us have seen. It's about 4 inches in diameter and completely solid and rigid. It drags on the ground and gets caught in her legs when she walks. I cut off the last 12" and then started combing out the hair that remained, using lots of showsheen. This ruined a nice pair of gloves but we made some progress. There is still a solid core about 2" in diameter, but I managed to save a lot of the tail. One more session should get it under control. Afterwards we did some short groundwork.

On Wednesday I had a nice session. Sending and lunging over ground poles and between barrels. After sacking out I paused to put in her first bit before continuing her ground work. I started by resuming work her off the halter underneath the bridle, then I began flexions and sending off the bridle. She accepted the bridle very quickly and was backing off either rein very quickly. I ended working on picking up her front feet (so-so) and lunging her at the walk with the lariat around the hindquarters. She shows very little sign of getting excited over any of this stuff and is really easy to desensitize.

She is still a little difficult to catch and it took about 5 minutes to corner her in the mud lot for this session.

No comments:

Post a Comment